Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Who are you trying to please?

There are some people in this world, and unfortunately in my own life, who believe that if I choose to have this many children, then I'd better get my act together and be perfect. 'Cause if I don't, then I must have made a mistake having a large family. If I can't "do it all" and do it all WELL, then I must have made a mistake, bitten off more than I can chew, etc.

Not true.

No one has it "all" together - not even the families of one or two children. No one. The thing is, each family is going to have it's own priorities. And just because you don't understand my priorities, doesn't make them incorrect.

During this season in my life, I am busy. I may not be busy where YOU think I 'ought' to be busy, but I am busy where I believe THE LORD wants me busy. No, the house may not be perfect. Yes, I may feel overwhelmed at times. No, the children are not all involved in karate. Yes, I fall into bed at night exhausted.

Yes, it is physically hard to have this many little ones. But it is TOTALLY worth it. Totally.

It may be months before we are back to a "normal" schedule - but normal for whom? The world? Since when did I want to be like the world? If the rest of our life is CRAZY by the world's standards, yet we are raising our children for the Lord, living for the Lord and loving each other as the Lord commands - why do you care if the world views us as strange?

Recently, I broke down. I told my husband, "oh, I just can't do all this". He agreed - then reminded me I DON'T HAVE TO. Yet I've felt the external pressure from others to be perfect. If I can't show them I'm perfect, that I can *handle* it all, then they will judge me, judge my family. And I don't want to fail.

Again, my husband reminded me, "you don't have to do it all. you don't have to gain anyone else's approval or acceptance". PTL for an amazing husband, amen sisters?!!

So for anyone else who is seriously overwhelmed with life, who has been blessed with many little ones, who is trying to please anyone else besides the Lord - go read a blog entry from a friend I just made recently on-line. It may make you cry (I know I did), but it may also help you stop and take a look at WHY you are overwhelmed and WHOM you are trying so hard to please.

http://seekingfaithfulness.wordpress.com/2007/01/27/dear-mom/

This blog was a gift from the Lord for me today. It was honestly EXACTLY what I needed to read from another momma who is just a bit further down the road than I. Thank you *so* much Holly, what a blessing. Thanks for allowing the Lord to work through you in this way!

*Michigan Momma*

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I just got done reading this blog entry: http://www.daniellebean.com/?view=1010 when I came to yours. You might find some encouragement there, too, especially in the comments from "been there, done that" moms. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lori, for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so nice. Thanks for your sweet words.

You know what? You encourage me too!
I can SO relate to what you are going through!

You're doing a great job, Lori. As a wife, as a Mommy - as a daughter of God. He understands how life is! He really does!

And someday...I'll actually get an e-mail back to you. :)

Love, Holly