Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Stayin' Alive!

barely...

No, that's not true - we are doing great! I was busy sewing up some skirts recently. When I sew, I get sort of "goal-oriented" and tend to focus just on that. So my blogging was going by the wayside. Then, come Saturday night, before Mother's Day, my little man came down with a HIGH fever. We're talking 103.7 under his arm. I don't think I've ever had one of my babies with that high of a fever. He seemed fine otherwise, but I was still freaked so we called the doctor.



Due to his age, not quite 3 months, he was still considered high risk for some very serious issues that involved high fevers (think bacterial menengitis, bacterial blood infections, etc) - so over to the hospital we went. We were checked into the ER right about midnight - just in time for the nurse to wish me a Happy Mother's Day. Yea, thanks.

Anyways, we (little Elijah & I) were in the hospital Sunday and most of Monday. We got released with just enough time for the family to take me out to Olive Garden that night. How nice! Dude man if fine - they were able to rule out all the scary stuff and figure it was just a viral infection. His fever went back down and a day later he got a pretty bad rash over his whole body. So we're thinking Roseola (sp?). All of my kids have had this infection but no one has ever gotten such a high fever from it before.

The worst part of it all was having to rule out some of the scarier infections. In order to do that, little Elijah had to have a catheter, he was supposed to have an IV but they never were able to get one going (even after 9 pokes and calling the Special Care nurse - still, they never did get a vein), and a spinal tap. I was really concerned about the tap but it went fairly well. They did have to poke him twice to get the fluid, but it wasn't as bad as the antibiotic shot they gave him in his little chubby thigh. Due to not being able to secure an IV, he had to get the "just-in-case" antibiotics in shot form. Not fun. The nurse said that probably hurt worse than all the rest. Poor little man....

Well, I've been to the ER twice here in MI since Jan. Overall, they are very nice, helpful and fast. I'm impressed. Also, they respected my wishes and didn't try to force things on me. I wasn't sure about the spinal at first and they were very understanding and said it was up to me. Refreshing, to say the least.

I'll post some pics of my new skirts as soon as I take some more pics. I just finished one up yesterday and I have hopes of beginning another one today. I feel SOOOOO much better having these new skirts. They are *just* what my wardrobe needed. Most of my current skirts were really long and not that flattering. I got most of those going through the "you must be modest and feminine" stage. What I forgot about was being attractive and stylish as well. Duh! I know, I know, but I'm working on it now!!

More posts to come today. I'm just working on some laundry, starting a new skirt and getting a grocery list together for tonight. We had dinner brought to us last night by a wonderful lady at church and there's enough for dinner tonight as well - so no cooking for me, yeah!

Talk to ya soon~
*Michigan Momma*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Elijah is doing fine!

Shari said...

Give your babies a hug and kiss from Aunt Shari. Sounds like you had a GREAT Mother's Day. Hahaha!

Your Little Sis