Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thinkin' Thursday

Here's my quickie for today, well, two quickies:

#1. Go read Holly's Part 4 of her Kindergarten Homeschool series. If you have time, check out parts 1, 2, & 3 as well. Good stuff.

#2. Character training. Virtues. Religious training. Whatever you want to call it. For now, in the early years, that comes first. That doesn't mean I skip over phonics or anything - but I concentrate on learning chores, about being part of a family, reading the Bible each day and praying with the kids, talking about kindness, love, grace, forgiveness, salvation - over and over and over again.

With both of my girls (now ages 5 & almost 3), they seem to hit a "difficult" stage around 2 - 2 1/2. DIFFICULT!! With Selah, I was sure she was going to be a horrible girl forever and ever. But she isn't. Not at all. She is a wonderful (albeit a bit, umm, quite a bit, whiney -- which we are working on). Now that Tali is going through this, I'm a bit more relaxed. I realise this isn't going to last forever. I'm more easily able to be consistant knowing the end is near...

So I'm not worried about going over color flashcards, or math manipulatives, or even pre-phonic stuff. I'm concentrating on dealing with her stubborness, her willful disobedience. She is a part of our daily devotions and has her own row on our chore charts. We are concentrating on her character right now, knowing the academics will come later (and easier with a good foundation in place).

So there ya go. Don't worry about it (so much).
Relax - let your baby relax. It's such an exciting time - enjoy it!!

No comments: