Here's the lowdown...
*my blood sugars are great: 103 - and my OB just wants them under 140, so no problem there.
*weight gain is fine - I mean, I'm overweight, but my *gain* is fine - in fact, she gave me a nice hi-five, which makes a gal feel good, ya know?!
*baby's birthday will be Wednesday, March 11th - kinda cool to be able to figure that out already.
*I have to have another ultrasound in two weeks - the baby was measuring too big. Since my blood sugars were good, and my babies have always been fairly small (7.0, 6.10, 6.11, 7.5) - she believes it's just a fluke, baby lying funny, belly fat, whatever....but she wants to check it out. So I get to see this little one again in two week - whoo-hoo!! (but no, dad, not the baby's sex!)
*my iron is low. Not too bad, but she wants me to take iron pills and pump my iron up, since you lose so much blood in a c-section. Also explains a bit of my tired-ness...
*as to the itching: she told me to take Benydryl (sp?) at nighttime to help with all-over itchiness. She is also having me do a 'fasting uric acid' test sometime this week ~ which would tell us if this was liver related (PUPP). That would mean my uric acid level are too high, baby would basically be swimming around in too much uric acid and I would need to take some meds to bring those levels down. She did not think it was the really bad, deliver the baby asap kind of thing - but this test will tell us more of what is going on. She did also believe it *could* just be dry, itchy, preggo skin in winter.
I'll probably get that test done Saturday, so we'll see....
Is that it? I think so. I asked her how many c-sections she had done on one woman before. She said I really didn't want to talk about that - basically, the only other woman she personally has dealt with that was like me (many c-sections) ended poorly. Momma & babies are fine, but after many (she didn't say *how* many) c-sections, this woman's placenta grew through her scar, probably/maybe into other organs. Ick, not pleasant. I'm pretty sure the stuff I've read says that leads to either a very tough surgery, lots of blood loss, and possibly a partial hysterectomy.
While my OB said that's not happening with me this time (they can see where the placenta is attaching fairly early on, through ultrasounds - mine is nice and high, up away from my incision site), you just never know about next time. She is also ABSOLUTELY fine with me having as many babies as we want - as long as my uterus isn't getting paper-thin and threatening to tear open. She told me she will take her time, check things out really well, she believes she does GREAT WORK during the surgery and that will lead to good recoveries. Yet if she sees a HUGE ol' *window*, seeing the baby clearly waving at her through my uterus - she would be concerned.
As would I!!
If that happens, if my uterus looks all stretched out and in danger of busting open - dh and I would have some praying to do and decisions to make. But I'm fairly certain we wouldn't make ANY decision while I was still laying there on the OR table. Unless it was an emergency situation, we would wait. My OB wants me to sign papers ahead of time, in case things look terrible - so she can just go ahead and do the tubal (she sees not point in going back in later, when she can just do it then) - yet she is respectful of my not wanting to (even if she doesn't agree). I just don't want to make a rash decision, lying there all drugged out on a spinal and not thinking clearly and not having time to pray and see what God has to say.
I am confident my OB will respect my decision - I really like her!! We are on the same page - lots of babies are wonderful, yet we both just don't want me (and a future baby) to be in danger. If five babies is what God wants for me, that is wonderful! If six or more is what God wants for me, I just want to be open to that as well......
*sigh* if you can avoid c-sections ladies, DO IT!! This would all be a lot easier if my uterus wasn't being cut open each time.....I'm thankful c-sections were/are available in needed situations (like my transverse & full-breech babies).........but if you don't need it - DON'T DO IT!!
Lastly, I also got to request a pediatric cath for the surgery, inserted AFTER the spinal in the OR room. Whoo-hoo!!! She wasn't phased by that request at all (you were right, Brooke). So I get my pediatric, small cath, put in AFTER the spinal so I won't have to feel it at all, I can wear a bra during the surgery (and in recovery - PTL!!), I get my IV stuff out asap - at least some good comes of many c-sections. I know what I want and I can request it ahead of time!!
Ok, enough baby-talk for today........later~