Saturday, April 25, 2009

Women

I just got done watching "The Women" - a newer movie from my Netflix list.

There's quite a bit of "feminism" in the movie, yet not all in a bad way.  In fact, what I really took away from the movie has more to do with being the woman God made me to be, instead of the women I feel I SHOULD be.

God made us all unique.  Part of my uniqueness comes from being a woman.  This separates me from half of the people on this planet!  I love being a woman ~ I believe God has different purposes for women, than men, and I'm glad!



Then, beyond just being "a" woman, I am "this" woman.  I am me!  God created me ~ what an awesome thought!  He created me with certain looks, certain interests and ideas, characteristics and a unique personality.  And you know what?  I think I'm beginning to really like me, the me that God created.

And trust me, I'm not one of those low self-esteem gals by any means.  Yet sometimes I wonder how many women I know are actually comfortable being themselves?  How many of us respond naturally, not just how we think we are "supposed" to respond?!?  Behind our facade of calm, cool and with-it....how many of us would feel okay with letting the "real" you show??



Really, how much of our time is spent thinking about what other people *might* be thinking?  How often do you replay something in your head, wondering if people "took it the right way" or wondering if you might have offended someone??

I'm not saying, fly by the seat of your pants, never giving a second thought to anyone but yourself....no, not at all.  Yet I doubt God wants us women (or men, but I think women do this more) so concerned with what other people think about us.  Be kind, yes.  Be respectful and loving, yes.



Yet beyond that, if I am doing my best, following the Lord's leading in my life, I don't think I should constantly be worried about what other people think.  My goal in life is not to please everyone and have everyone think I'm doing a "good job" all the time.  My goal in life should be to love & obey God - then all the rest will fall into place, and I can stop worrying about what other people think.





So....anyway....

What I took away from the movie The Women was this:  I am a women, created by God, unique and special in all ways.  God loves me.  I need to get the focus off of ME, off of what OTHERS think about me - and get it back on God.  Then I can feel free to be the *real* me, the me that God created, enjoying who I am and what I am doing.  WOW!  What a concept!?!


p.s.  I'm not saying everyone who watches this particular movie will take these thoughts away from it.  Just a few lines here and there got me thinking.  Thinking about my own life, my personal experiences, my thoughts and actions.  So take it all with a grain of salt.....It's after 2am for goodness sake ~ I just need to go to bed!

5 comments:

Tereza said...

great post ad so true!! By the way you two make a very cute couple!

Morgan said...

Cute pictures!

Anonymous said...

Me likey! Thanks for the great read. Thank you for the little reminder.

Blessings to you. Sabre
ps I am so excited for you and the new home. How fun!!!

Tereza said...

Awwww I loved this post!!! It's so freeing to just be me!!

Tereza said...

ha ha I just realized this is a very old post...and I had already left a comment with the username "Tereza" So funny...a year later I still loved this psot!